Selecting a Long Island Trade School
Perhaps you're a high school graduate who has decided that college is not for you. Or perhaps, you are looking to
switch careers. Regardless of your circumstances, a trade school (or vocational school) is an excellent starting point
to get you on the right track particularly in this increasingly difficult job market.
Trade schools are geared for training you on how to get started in a new career whether it is automotive repair or
technician, hair stylist, paralegal, medical assistant, truck driver, bartender, culinary, computer, or one of the other
skilled jobs that require training or certification. Many schools also help students identify prospective employers and
assist in the job application process.
It is important to understand that not all trade schools are what they claim they are. While most schools are reputable
and do what they claim, some have a primary objective of just getting your money.
Before enrolling in any trade school, it's important to do the following:
- Know what you are interested in ahead of time. Don't let a representative at the school convince you to go into an area that you can't picture yourself doing.
- Research the employment opportunities in the area you are interested in. Call on a few of the jobs and ask the employer about the skill set they would be looking for. Will the trade school provide you with that skill set?
- If possible, spend a day at the school and even sit in on some classes. Speak to the teachers and make sure you would be comfortable being in their class. Find out about their credentials? Do they or have they worked in the field?
- Check out the equipment for your trade at the school. Is it state-of-the art or is it outdated?
- What is the program's success rate? What percentage of students complete the program? How many find jobs in their field and of the ones that find jobs, how long did it take and what was the average starting salary?
- Ask for a list of recent graduates. Ask some about their experiences with the school.
- Get your finances in order? How much will the program cost including books, equipment, lab fees, and uniforms? Are there any extra fees? How will you pay for the program? Is financial aid available?
- Ask for the names and phone numbers of the school's licensing and accrediting organizations. Check with these organizations to find out whether the school is current on its license and accreditation. Licensing is handled by state agencies. In many states, private vocational schools are licensed through the New York state Department of Education. Accreditation can be an important clue to a school's ability to provide appropriate training and education
Once you've made a decision on which school to attend, review the materials the school gives you, including the
To finance your trade school training program, you may apply for financial aid through the school's financial aid
program. If you take out a loan, be sure you read the agreement and understand the terms of repayment before you
sign. Know when repayment begins and how much each payment will be.
Also realize that you're responsible for paying off the loan whether or not you complete the training program.
|David R Bluth Association
Bethpage, NY 11714
|Automobile Driving Schools||All Time Driving School
1120 Montauk Hwy # A
Mastic, NY 11950
|Royal Beauty Salon
6100 Sunrise Hwy
Massapequa, NY 11758
|Computer Training||Access Computers
252 W Old Country Rd
Hicksville, NY 11801
|Adil Business Systems
82 N Broadway
Hicksville, NY 11801
|American Computer Services
410 6th St # A
West Babylon, NY 11704
1225 Franklin Ave # 325
Garden City, NY 11530
|Cosmetology & Barber Schools||Beveal International Beauty
983 Church St
Baldwin, NY 11510
|Elementary & Secondary Schools||Adult Learning Center
3100 Hempstead Tpke
Levittown, NY 11756
|Bellmore Adult Education
1260 Meadowbrook Rd
North Merrick, NY 11566
|Academy Of Bartenders
1800 Middle Country Rd
Centereach, NY 11720
|American Investment Training
300 Motor Pkwy # 200
Hauppauge, NY 11788
|Boces Aviation Academy
133 Dawn Dr
Shirley, NY 11967
|Other Technical & Trade Schools||Access Careers
474 Fulton Ave # 201
Hempstead, NY 11550
|Gloria K School
500 Northern Blvd
Great Neck, NY 11021
|Tax Preparation Services||H&R Block
219 Forest Ave
Glen Cove, NY 11542
204 W Old Country Rd
Hicksville, NY 11801